Sign up to receive Sharona's real estate market updates, open house information, restaurant picks and home inspiration.
West Hollywood homes for sale
West Hollywood stands out as one of the interesting areas in California. It boasts of many notable attractions related to entertainment, music, fashion, and diverse cultures from around the world. No wonder the who’s who in Hollywood, sports, and the business world have long explored luxury West Hollywood homes for sale in order to live here. With the local housing market trending up as of November 2022, prospective homebuyers have a lot to look forward to.
West Hollywood, or “WeHo” as locals fondly call it, is one of the most exciting places to visit in the United States. Before the pandemic shut the world down in 2020, the trendy city posted record numbers in tourism. About 3.59 million people visited West Hollywood and spent $1.73 billion from 2017 to 2018. Though the pandemic didn't spare West Hollywood, businesses in the city started to pick up in early 2022.
But before we look at area highlights and key attractions or hunt for West Hollywood houses for sale, it's good to take a closer look at key information about the city.
AN OVERVIEW OF WEST HOLLYWOOD
LUXURY HOMES FOR SALE IN WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA
Luxury residential property types
Single-family and multi-family homesFinding single-family and multi-family homes for sale in West Hollywood is relatively easy – even for buyers aiming for high-end, luxurious properties. Investors can find luxury single-family West Hollywood homes for sale featuring 1 to 3 bedrooms and 1 to 2 bathrooms for roughly $1.2 to $3 million. These properties can measure anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 square feet. On the other hand, multi-family homes feature at least 6 bedrooms to as many as 16, with the same number of bathrooms. Typically, luxury multi-family homes start at 3,000 square feet and can exceed 23,000 square feet.
CondosThe area’s luxury condos are just as sought after. Sales of condos valued over $3 million increased by 22.4%, with an average price of around $4.2 million during the second quarter of 2022. One of the most surprising and impressive transactions happened in 2022, when a luxury penthouse condo sold for $21.5 million. The unit measured a little over 6,300 square feet with a 2,782-square-foot wraparound terrace. On the other hand, regular or entry-level condos appeal to a younger generation of buyers, particularly millennials. This type of condo features 1 to 2 beds and baths and measures around 1,600 square feet. Prices begin at around $3.7 million. Meanwhile, buyers looking for properties triple the size can expect to pay around $13 to $18 million. These homes feature 4 to 5 bedrooms with 3.5 to 4.5 bathrooms. They also measure anywhere between 3,800 to 5,500 square feet.
TownhomesThere’s also an increasing demand for new homes and luxury townhomes costing between $1.5 million and $3 million for a 3 to 4-bedroom, 3-bath unit. Though more prospective investors are drawn to these properties, demand for luxury single-family and multi-family homes remains stable.
Architectural styles and home features
MediterraneanHouses in the neighborhood of West Hollywood West feature traditional Spanish home designs that date back to the 1920s. You’ll also find properties sporting California or Mediterranean modern styles. These homes often use red tile roofs and feature additions that promote outdoor living such as patios. Though Mediterranean-style homes peaked in the 1920s and 1930s, there are still West Hollywood homes in this architectural style. Modern Mediterranean houses blend several influences including Italian Renaissance, Spanish Renaissance, Spanish Colonial, Andalusian, and Beaux-Arts. Some of these homes are designed with visible roof terraces or balconies. They also use flat roofs that help reflect extreme heat, especially during summer. Additionally, stucco exteriors are also used but with bright and earth-toned paint. Windows with shutters on either side can be tall while water features like fountains can also be present, showing that Andalusian influence.
ContemporaryMeanwhile, the neighborhood of Norma Triangle is the site of some of the best contemporary homes for sale in West Hollywood, CA. When you drive around the neighborhood, you'll see houses with contemporary designs that follow modern architectural principles. These properties feature the latest innovations in materials and design. Contemporary homes do share some qualities with classically modernist homes. They often employ flat roofs, blocky construction, and open-plan interior layouts, to name a few. However, newer contemporary homes are designed to be more sustainable and energy-efficient.
COMMUNITY AMENITIES FOR WEST HOLLYWOOD RESIDENTS
ParksThere are plenty of parks in West Hollywood that kids and adults will enjoy spending time at. West Hollywood Park is one of the best places to bring the entire family as well as pets. It has a dog park where your furry friends can run around, off-leash. There’s also a playground for kids. Residents who like picturesque views of the city can head to Kings Road Park. It's perfect for unwinding and weekend strolls. It also has a shaded pocket park and a waterfall that are a refreshing break from the frenzy of the city. Like West Hollywood Park, Kings Road Park also has a designated playground. If you like nice picnics, Plummer Park has you covered. It features green lawns and impressive landscaping creating the perfect stage for relaxed get-togethers . Moreover, Plummer Park boasts the largest playground in the city and is home to some public tennis courts.
RestaurantsWest Hollywood is a city that satisfies every gastronomic craving. Home to some of the finest restaurants in California, West Hollywood's variety of dining options will satisfy every palate. Here are some of the best:
- Pura Vita. Scrumptious Italian fare recreated for vegans. The restaurant's plant-based menu encompasses all, from appetizers to drinks, main courses to desserts.
- Pizzana West Hollywood. West Hollywood's go-to place for a pizza fix. The restaurant offers a wide selection highlighted by a signature “slow dough” blend made from Italian flour.
- Pi On Sunset. Combining traditional Lebanese home recipes with creations from the Mediterranean for tasty, mouthwatering dishes. However, popular favorites such as kabob skewers and shawarma wraps are on the menu along with Italian/Lebanese pizzas.
- Kitchen24. For several years now, Kitchen24 has been serving West Hollywood residents by delivering top-notch takeout food. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner on site with an outdoor patio for al fresco dining.
ShoppingOnline shopping is great but nothing beats the renewed experience of strolling into a store and appreciating the stuff and the vibe in real life. is Here are the best places to do that, upscale and otherwise:
- The Beverly Center. This is the shopping destination where high-end items, regular-priced items, and everything else in between meet. Its stores cater to all – men, women, and children. Shop for clothes, shoes, bags, and accessories. Pick up your electronics, books, toys, and beauty and health products. Grab a latte or eats in its many restaurants and coffee shops.
- Sunset Plaza. For a different kind of shopping experience, Sunset Plaza's outdoor retail strip spans two blocks and allows some sightseeing as you shop. It’s also the preferred place for beauty, fashion, and skincare products.
LIVING IN WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA
SchoolsWhen it comes to education, West Hollywood has its share of top-rated public schools. There’s West Hollywood Elementary School and Larchmont Charter School. The latter offers schooling for elementary, middle, and high school students. Parents who prefer enrolling their kids in private schools also have some good options. Private institutions in and around the city are Harvard-Westlake School, Windward School, Marlborough School, Oakwood School, and Prospect Sierra School. Meanwhile, college students can apply to Loyola Marymount University, CalTech, and UCLA.
AttractionsOnce you've checked off shopping, dining, parks, and the nightlife on the Sunset Strip, here are a few more attractions to gun for in West Hollywood:
- Visit the legendary Whisky A Go Go and dance to live music. Established in 1964, this iconic WeHo bar has hosted the likes of Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors, among other rock & roll legends.
- Explore the interior design showrooms at the Pacific Design Center. The impressive complex standing proudly in West Hollywood’s design district consists of three buildings that look like angular glass blocks in red, green, and blue. It houses the Museum of Contemporary Art which showcases exhibits, workshops, and screenings.
- Rediscover the joy of borrowing books by getting a library card from the West Hollywood Library. With 7.5 million books in its collection, not to mention a slew of other publications, the West Hollywood Library is a treasure trove. The library also hosts art exhibits by local artists. Be sure to check the murals made by street artists Shepard Fairey and Kenny Scharf adorning the three-story building.
- Hike to the top of Runyon Canyon. As one of the most popular hiking trails near WeHo, it features four trails with varying degrees of difficulty. Reaching the top will give majestic views of Los Angeles no other place can.